2018 Art Basel Miami Recap Pt. 2
Welcome to Not Real Art, Siri’s favorite creative culture podcast! Today’s episode is another holiday edition special, where we dive into everything from family traditions, favorite Christmas time memories, how Sourdough first got his nickname, and more stories about our time at Art Basal.
The conversation touches on our different feelings and experiences at Wynwood, Untitled, and SCOPE, and the disconnect that is so apparent between the various art fair. We also share our favorite and most outstanding pieces that we’ve seen throughout all the art events, and some of the incredible galleries taking risks and really killing it on the art scene. Finally, we dig into the concept of corporatization of the art and what it will mean for the future of artists and the art industry as a whole. For all this and an incredible conversation, stay tuned to today’s episode!
Key Points From This Episode:
• The Man One Family holiday traditions.
• Understanding how art has become a mainstream trend.
• Recap of the shows we attended at Art Basal.
• Overviewing the art that was within the Art Basal Fair.
• The contrasting feelings between Art Basal and Wynwood.
• Why Wynwood Walls makes us angry.
• Understanding the concept of “new money art”.
• Pieces that stood out; unique and refreshing.
• Why the ultimate failure of an artist is to stop growing.
• The disconnect between Wynwood and the art fair scene.
• Our favorite Galleries worth mentioning.
• Recognizing all the artist stories that aren’t being told.
• The corporatization of art and what it means for the industry.
• And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Man One — http://www.manone.com/
Scott “Sourdough” Power — https://www.instagram.com/sourdoughpower/
Not Real Art Conference — https://www.notrealartconference.com/
Not Real Art on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/notrealartofficial/
Art Basal — https://www.artbasel.com/miami-beach
Modern Multiples — https://www.modernmultiples.com/
Kobra’s Ballerina Mural — https://mymodernmet.com/eduardo-kobra-ballerina-maya-plisetskaya/
Untitled — https://untitledartfairs.com/miami-beach
SCOPE — https://scope-art.com/show/miami-beach-2018/visitor/
Sandra Chevrier — https://www.sandrachevrier.com/
Logan Hicks — http://workhorsevisuals.com
Crystal Morey — https://www.crystalmorey.com/
Badir McCleary of Art Above Reality — http://www.artabovereality.com/
Eric Nado — http://ericnado.com
Erika Sanada — https://www.erikasanada.com/
Bisco Smith — https://biscosmith.com/
Treason Gallery — https://treasongallery.com/
Jase Ihler — https://www.linkedin.com/in/jase-ihler-203273127/
Art Miami — https://www.artmiami.com/
Fabien Castanier Gallery — http://www.castaniergallery.com/
Faith XLVII — https://faith47.com/