Anthem Salgado: Marketing Masterclass with Erin Yoshi
The importance of the business aspect of being an artist cannot be underestimated. This side of the trade is an art in its own right and requires some training to master. Today on the show our favorite guest host Erin Yoshi is joined by Anthem Salgado who he shares his expertise on all the strategies that we as artists should be using to sell ourselves and connect to our audience. Anthem is the founder of Art of Hustle where he offers expert business coaching for marketing and communications.
“A lot of times I approach the work, I think my superpower when working with folks is that I’m an outsider. The less I know about someone’s work the better because then I can just look at their marketing and communications assets as an outsider and I can immediately ask myself some basic questions. Do I get it? Do I understand what is happening? Is this website navigable? I can experience it with fresh eyes whereas someone who is in the weeds can’t see these things because they are so close to the work.” — @ArtOfHustle [0:08:08]
Anthem tells the story of his journey as a multidisciplinary artist into the field of marketing and communications and how he started offering consultation and training to artists and agencies who engaged in his services. We then hear some of Anthem's top tips for artists such as getting clear on your story before your delivery, how to build trust, how to think like a business owner and not an employee, and which part of your sales funnel to focus on first. Anthem also gets into some of the essential tools he uses in his training to help artists be more strategic such as the 90-day plan and the SMART objective frameworks. So for a masterclass in marketing from today’s brilliant guest, be sure to join us on the Not Real Art podcast.
“Three things when it comes to marketing: have a tight narrative, really be clear about brand and customer experience, and don’t overlook the superpower of evangelism from your existing audience ” — @ArtOfHustle [0:20:09]
Key Points From This Anthem Salgado Episode:
- The story of how Anthem moved from multidisciplinary art to marketing and coaching.
- How Anthem approaches his coaching services and guides his students by playing the ‘outsider’.
- The range of offers Anthem provides and some common sticking points students experience.
- Anthem’s focus on helping his students find their message first, before their delivery.
- Why Anthem recorded his teachings into videos and how the courses are thematically divided.
- Other marketing tips: brand consistency and audience evangelism.
- Tips for sales: how to build trust and pitch without shooting yourself in the foot.
- Anthem’s leadership advice: personal development geared toward learning how to leverage time.
- The value of planning a way forward and then doing minor pivots as you go.
- Setting a production timeline using the ‘due date versus do date’ framework.
- What makes a good website: answering basic questions in three seconds.
- Understanding the client funnel: where to start with curating the journey of a lead
- Anthem weighs in on the 90-day plan framework for executing a business idea.
- How to take action on lessons learned in a 90-day plan using the SMART objective.
- A final tip from Anthem about the value of artists seeing themselves as micro-organizations.
- How to connect with Anthem online and learn more about his amazing services.
“I had always been involved one way or another in arts administration. So, house managing, program managing, communications, marketing, etcetera.” — @ArtOfHustle [0:03:36]
“Everyone has to get back to basics which is, ‘What is your story? What is your main message?’” — @ArtOfHustle [0:11:53]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Anthem Salgado on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/coachanthem/?hl=en
- Anthem Salgado on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/anthemsalgado/
- Art of Hustle — https://artofhustle.com/
- Scott “Sourdough” Power — https://www.instagram.com/sourdoughpower/
- Not Real Art Conference — https://www.notrealartconference.com/
- Not Real Art on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/notrealartworld/
“As yourself these three questions and you will have a SMART objective: How much? Of what? By when? Let’s say there is a correlation between number of newsletter subscribers and number of sales and we want to explore that further. So we say to ourselves that my goal will be to up newsletter subscribers. As a coach I would say by how much? You say you could get it up to 30% of that. So the SMART objective would be to increase newsletter subscribers by 30% before the end of 90 days. That would be the big goal and you would give yourself specific projects to reach that goal.” — @ArtOfHustle [0:50:00]