DesignerCon 2019 with Mark Brickey from Adventures in Design
DesignCon is one of the undisputed highlights of the art calendar, and the event is growing from strength to strength. The Not Real Art Gallery and Man One were both repping in booths at the trade show. Mark Brickey, a dear friend of ours and host of Adventures in Design Podcast, was there on our behalf to interview some of the biggest and brightest stars of the art world.
Mark Brickey interviews our very own Man One
Man one has been making art for more than 20 years, and his commitment to the craft has not waned in the slightest. He shares what has given him the motivation and why he loves DCon so much. Mark also talks with other artists including Never Made, who shares some of his personal story, Dan Janssen, who talks about the industry shift from anonymous designers to being design-famous, and Aaron Draplin, who spits the truth as usual. For so many artists, when they started out, a platform like DCon didn’t even exist. Now it’s here, giving a voice to so many, and we couldn’t be prouder to be a part of it. Be sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn what’s behind Man One’s incredible glow.
- DesignerCon: What went down, highlights, and main takeaways from the event.
- How people received the Not Real Art Gallery at DCon.
- What kept Man One going, keeping the creative juices flowing and t-shirts vs walls.
- Find out how Man One felt when he painted his first legal wall.
- What drives Never Made to make art and what it’s like working for Shepard Fairey.
- Where Never Made got his unbelievable work ethic from and his family’s influence on him.
- How Dan Janssen feels being a role model, what DCon means, and driving a branded RV.
- What motivated Dan to finally come down to DCon and the benefits of going to tradeshows.
- Why Jared Schorr creates his own work, questions he’s asked and how he deals with being a fanboy.
- How Rocom toys use Kickstarter, the importance of meeting audiences, and his experience of DCon.
- The importance of DCon for DKNG Studios and how their work fits into the fine art space.
- DKNG products that catch people’s eye, who buys the goods and what sets them apart.
- Learn more about Alex Pardee’s decision to turn his merch booth into an art gallery.
- How DCon stands out to Alex and how he uses Kickstarter to engage with fans.
- Learn about Dre's studio, his relationship with Never Made, and LA’s role in their work.
- How DCon is different than other shows for Dre.
- Jason Edmiston: First show, the importance of city-specific first eyes and Joker eye sales.
- Find out how many eyes Jason Edmiston has painted in total.
- Draplin’s take on achieving true creative freedom and what being at DCon means to him.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
DesignerCon — https://www.designercon.com/
SLICK on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/og_slick/
Adventures in Design — https://aid.network/
Mark Brickey on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/markbrickey/
Mark Brickey on Twitter — https://twitter.com/markbrickey
Aaron Draplin on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/draplin/
Never Made — https://nevermade.com/
Never Made on Instagram — https://instagram.com/nevermade
Shepard Fairey on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/obeygiant/
Lincoln Design — https://www.lincolndesignco.com/danj
DC Shoes — https://www.dcshoes.com/
Jared Schorr on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/supercoolspyclub/
Rocom Toys — https://www.rocomtoys.com/
Kickstarter — https://www.kickstarter.com/
DKNG Studios — https://www.dkngstudios.com/
Alex Pardee — http://www.alexpardee.com/
Jason Edminston — http://jasonedmiston.com/
Mondo Gallery — https://mondoshop.com/
Man One — http://www.manone.com/
Man One on Twitter — https://twitter.com/ManOneArt
Scott “Sourdough” Power — https://www.instagram.com/sourdoughpower/
Not Real Art Conference — https://www.notrealartconference.com/
Not Real Art on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/notrealartworld/