Deck The Halls: It’s Our Holiday Special Podcast with Paint The Town Podcast Hosts James Shen + Teachr1
“I’m your host Sourdough, and I want to welcome you to our holiday special episode. But, before we get into it I need to clarify a few things and put in a few disclaimers. This special holiday episode is what I would call fast and loose. I’m warning you now, it’s boys behaving badly due to excessive amounts of holiday cheer. As you’ll hear, my one and only partner in crime Man One is back in the studio momentarily from his big assignment. It’s great to have him back. It felt more like home this time to have him in the studio. But what really made this holiday episode special was that we were joined by our good friends over at the Paint The Town podcast, James and Teachr who we just love to chop it up with.” — Scott “Sourdough” Power [0:00:44.0]
Welcome to this special holiday episode of the Not Real Art Podcast! As Sourdough explains early on in the show, this episode is fast and loose, featuring a bunch of boys behaving badly due to excessive amounts of holiday cheer!
Man One is finally back in the studio after his year-long assignment and what makes today’s show even better is that James Shen and Teachr from Paint The Town podcast make an appearance too! After such a wild year of isolation, hustling, and adjustments, the warm energy throughout the conversation is palpable, with our hosts and guests feeling super excited to get a chance to catch up and shoot the breeze.
The show kicks off with some stories about what it has been like trying to raise kids at this time in history, and then we move onto discuss the atmosphere of freedoms and restrictions in different parts of the U.S. at this late stage of the pandemic. From there, ManOne spills the beans about his assignment – a 78 x 14-foot mural that he has been making on panels in his studio! He also tells another story about doing a mural for Coca-Cola in Crips territory which ended in a police shootout! Other topics discussed on today’s show include Trump finally being voted out, James and Teachr’s plans for 2021 including the release of a new spray paint brand, and the appearance Sophie Dee will be making on the Paint The Town podcast next year. For all this and a whole lot more on topics of art, family, politics, porn, and the pandemic, be sure to tune in!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The recent battle Teachr’s son had with suicidal thoughts due to being cooped up at home.
- The evolving discourse around adoption and Sourdough’s experience of raising his adopted kids.
- James discusses fame and being an influencer in relation to his and Teachr’s careers.
- The situation in different places in America with COVID restrictions and freedoms.
- Perspectives on safely eating at restaurants using different kinds of masks.
- How James and Teachr have framed a recent podcast they did with a difficult guest.
- ManOne’s process making a huge mural for RTI Cables and how it saved him this year.
- What everybody thinks about the vaccine and when they expect to take it.
- James’ experiences partying with Sophie Dee who will be a guest on Paint The Town soon.
- A story where ManOne painted a Coca-Cola mural in a Crips neighborhood and things got out of hand.
- An announcement about the new spray paint label James and Teachr are releasing.
- How helpful podcasts have been for keeping people sane in this time of isolation.
- What people can expect from the Paint The Town podcast in 2021.
- ManOne’s story about how street art is invisible until you start noticing it.
- Gratitude about Trump being voted out and thoughts about what he is planning next.
- Thoughts on what webcam sex websites mean from an anthropological perspective.
“It’s just great to be looking at people other than my family.” — Teachr [0:05:42.0]
“When I started painting this mural for RCI at the beginning of this year was when we went into lockdown, and I lost 90% of my gigs, but that one gig was perfect because I could spend all the time I wanted on it. It was in my studio. I was alone so I didn’t have to be out in public. So that one project carried me through the whole year.” — @ManOneArt [0:25:29.0]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Paint The Town Podcast — https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/paint-the-town-podcast/id1444367908
- Teachr1 — https://www.teachr1.com/
- James Shen — https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-shen-5396081b3/
- RTI — https://www.rticable.com/
- Sophie Dee on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/sophiedee/?hl=en
- GO Spray Paint on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/gospraypaint/
- Middle Men— https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1251757/
- Sugar Press Art — https://sugarpressart.com/
- Man One — http://www.manone.com/
- Man One on Twitter — https://twitter.com/ManOneArt
- Scott “Sourdough” Power — https://www.instagram.com/sourdoughpower/
- Not Real Art — https://notrealart.com/
- Not Real Art School — https://school.notrealart.com/
- Not Real Art on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/notrealartworld/
“The good news is we got the fucking orange Cheeto out the fucking White House.” — Scott “Sourdough” Power [0:56:09.0]
“A lot of people, they are in isolation these days. I think, especially if you are by yourself, hanging out on a podcast is kinda like hanging out with some old friends.” — James Shen [0:46:00.0]